1) In a large pot, heat the oil. Cook the onion and garlic until they are golden and soft (about 5 minutes).
2) Add the remaining ingredients and bring to a boil. Cover with a lid, partially.
3) Bring to a low boil for 15 minutes or until the potatoes are cooked through. Must be able to pierce easily with a fork.
4) Remove the pot from heat. With the immersion blender, combine until smooth.
5) Garnish the soup with croutons, chili flakes, freshly cracked pepper, and a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil